Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I Survived My First Day

Today was my first day of student teaching. I got lucky and had it really easy. It was a teacher workday. So first instead of being there at 7:15 I didn't have to be there till 8, sweet! Then there was breakfast when we got there, again sweet! Which brings us to the boring part of the day which was sitting through a technology lecture thing and an SOL/ No Child Left Behind lecture thing. As uninteresting as they were they were pretty informative. After our lectures we had about an hour and half before lunch time. So I got to do the typical intern job of photocopying, hole punching and stapling. I'm getting to be a pro at it.

Then my teacher and I sat down to talk about the plan for the semester which includes be teaching the two geometry class full time starting in about two weeks. I'm super excited! However, the two classes are quite different. One is a one semester geometry class. The other is the second part of geometry. Now for those of you who are confused about one semester geometry and the second part of geometry let me explain. At the school I'm at they do semester classes. So the students have 4 classes a semester for 90 minutes every day then take finals and their SOL's in January. Then switch to 4 new classes for the rest of the year. So the one semester class is really like having a class all year for those of us who are used to having 7 or 8 classes for the whole year. And the part two class is as if it were spread over 2 years. I like that the semester and kids are changing now because my first full day with the kids in the room is Friday and it is also the first day of the new semester, which makes the transit of me into the classroom so much easier because I'm there from day one.

After a little bit of planning, it was time for lunch. We went out to a mexican restuarant with some the other teachers, so I was able to get to know the other people I would be working with before the organized chaos of the new semester begins. That's all for now. I'll let you know how things go on day 2, its supposed to be an easy day again SWEET!

No comments:

Post a Comment